Terms of Service
Altlife.Community builds services that enable people to connect with each other, build communities, and grow local businesses. These Terms govern your use of Altlife.Community, and the other products, features, apps, services, technologies, and software we offer (Altlife.Community Products or Products), except where we expressly state that separate terms (and not these) apply. These Products are provided to you by Alt Life Community (ABN: 28 748 299 394).
We don’t agree with in-your-face advertising and instead rely mostly on membership fee’s and businesses and organizations paying us to list/sell their products and services on our platforms. However, by using our Products, you agree that you may see ads in certain areas of the platform, such as on the Business Directory and in the Online Store.
We don’t sell your personal data to advertisers, and we don’t share information that directly identifies you (such as your name, email address or other contact information) with third parties.
We reserve the right to remove content, ban or deactive users who we believe are in breach of our Terms, Social Standards or any other policy.
1. Our Services
Our mission is to provide an inclusive and safe space with access to good education, products and services for adults in alternative lifestyle communities.
To help advance this mission, we provide the Products and services described below to you.
Your experience on Altlife.Community is unlike anyone else's: from the posts, blogs, events, and other content you see and other features you might use, such as Altlife.Store, and search function. This is all governed by you on what thread you want to follow and activities you want to be notified of, in your settings area.
Connecting you with people and businesses:
We help you find and connect with people, groups, businesses, organizations, and others that matter to you across the Altlife.Community. Stronger ties make for better communities, and we believe our services are most useful when people are connected to people, groups, and organizations they care about and feel apart of.
Empower you to express yourself:
There are many ways to express yourself on Altlife.Community and to communicate with friends, and others about what matters to you - for example, sharing status updates, photos, videos, and blogs across the Altlife.Community Products you use, sending messages to a friend or several people, creating events or groups, or participating in forum discussions or writing blogs about your experiences etc.
Protecting and supporting our online community:
We know that people will only build their community on Altlife.Community if they feel safe. We employ a dedicated team around the world to assist in detecting misuse, harmful conduct towards others, and situations where we may be able to help support or protect our community. If we learn of content or conduct like this, we will take appropriate action - for example, offering help, removing content, removing or restricting access to certain features, disabling an account, or contacting law enforcement.
Research helps us improve:
Enable global access to our services:
To operate our global service, we need to store and distribute content and data across data centers and systems around the world, including outside your country of residence. This infrastructure may be operated or controlled by Alt Life Community or a third party who we employ.
2. How do we fund our site?
We have multiple channels to help fund the services and products we provide, which include, low cost yearly membership and business and organisations paying us to list/run/sell their products and services on our platforms and sticker packages. We have decided on this style of funding to reduce advertising in your feeds, and on the site.
We only have 3 current places on the site where we will allow advertising, these spots are located on the Events Page, Business Directory and the Marketplace. (We only allow 1 advertiser in each spot at each time).
Any business or advertisement on our site must agree and comply with our Commerce Policy.
You can read about our beliefs for providing a platform that has both free and paid features in our FAQs here.
Payments on the platform
All payments on the platform are in USD (unless otherwise stated).
3. Your commitments to the Altlife.Community
We provide these services to you and others to help advance our mission. In exchange, we need you to make the following commitments:
Who can use Altlife.Community
When people stand behind their opinions and actions, our community is safer and more accountable. For this reason, you must:
- Verify your account to confirm your age
- Provide valid contact information (eg: email address)
- Create only one account (your own) and use your timeline for personal purposes.
- Not share your password, give access to your Altlife.Community account to others, or transfer your account to anyone else (without our permission).
We try to make Altlife.Community broadly available to everyone, but you cannot use Altlife.Community if:
- You are under 18 years old.
- You are a convicted sex offender.
- We've previously disabled your account for violations of our Terms or Policies (whether on Altlife.Community or our previous platforms)
- You are prohibited from receiving our products, services, or software under applicable laws.
What you can share and do on Altlife.Community
We want people to use Altlife.Community to express themselves and to share content that is important to them, but not at the expense of the safety and well-being of others or the integrity of our community. You therefore agree not to engage in the conduct described below (or to facilitate or support others in doing so):
1. You may not use our Products to do or share anything:
- That violates these Terms, our Social Standards, and other terms and policies that apply to your use of our Products from time to time.
- That is unlawful, misleading, discriminatory or fraudulent.
- That infringes or violates someone else's rights, including their intellectual property rights.
2. You may not upload viruses or malicious code or do anything that could disable, overburden, or impair the proper working or appearance of our Products.
3. You may not access or collect data from our Products using automated means (without our prior permission) or attempt to access data you do not have permission to access.
We can move, remove or restrict access to content that is in violation of these provisions.
If we remove content that you have shared in violation of our Social Standards, we’ll let you know and explain the reasons for the decision to remove the content and any further action that may be taken in the future if you are in breach of our policies.
To help support our community, we encourage you to report content or conduct that you believe violates your rights (including intellectual property rights) or our terms and policies.
We also can remove, move or restrict access to your content, services or information if we determine that doing so is reasonably necessary to avoid or mitigate adverse legal or regulatory impacts to Altlife.Community.
The permissions you give us
We need certain permissions from you to provide our services:
Permission to use content you create and share: Some content that you share or upload, such as photos or videos, may be protected by intellectual property laws.
You own the intellectual property rights (things like copyright or trademarks) on any such content that you create and share on Altlife.Community. Nothing in these Terms takes away the rights you have to your own content. You are free to share your content with anyone else, wherever you want.
However, to provide our services we need you to give us some legal permissions (known as a ‘license’) to use this content. This is solely for the purposes of providing and improving our Products and services as described in above.
Specifically, when you share, post, or upload content that is covered by intellectual property rights on or in connection with our Products, you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, and worldwide license to host, use, distribute, modify, run, copy, publicly perform or display, translate, and create derivative works of your content. This means, for example, that if you share a photo on Altlife.Community, you give us permission to store, copy, and share it with others (again, consistent with your settings) such as service providers that support our service or other Altlife.Community Products you use. This license will end when your content is deleted from our systems.
You can delete content individually or all at once by deleting your account. You can download a copy of your data at any time before deleting your account.
When you delete content, it’s no longer visible to other users, however it may continue to exist elsewhere on our systems where:
- immediate deletion is not possible due to technical limitations (in which case, your content will be deleted within a maximum of 90 days from when you delete it);
- your content has been used by others in accordance with this license and they have not deleted it (in which case this license will continue to apply until that content is deleted); or
- where immediate deletion would restrict our ability to:
- investigate or identify illegal activity or violations of our terms and policies (for example, to identify or investigate misuse of our Products or systems);
- comply with a legal obligation, such as the preservation of evidence; or
- comply with a request of a judicial or administrative authority, law enforcement or a government agency;
in which case, the content will be retained for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which it has been retained (the exact duration will vary on a case-by-case basis).
In each of the above cases, this license will continue until the content has been fully deleted.
Permission to update software you use or download: If you download or use our software, you give us permission to download and install updates to the software where available.
Limits on using our intellectual property
If you use content covered by intellectual property rights that we have and make available in our Products (for example, images, designs, videos, or sounds we provide that you add to content you create or share on Altlife.Community), we retain all rights to that content (but not yours). You can only use our copyrights or trademarks (or any similar marks) with our prior written permission. You must obtain our written permission (or permission under an open source license) to modify, create derivative works of, decompile, or otherwise attempt to extract source code from us.
4. Additional provisions
Updating our Terms
We work constantly to improve our services and develop new features to make our Altlife.Community better for you. As a result, we may need to update these Terms from time to time to accurately reflect our services and practices. We will only make any changes if the provisions are no longer appropriate or if they are incomplete, and only if the changes are reasonable and take due account of your interests.
We will notify you (for example, by email or through the site) before we make changes to these Terms and give you an opportunity to review them before they go into effect, unless changes are required by law. Once any updated Terms are in effect, you will be bound by them if you continue to use our Products.
We hope that you will continue using our Products, but if you do not agree to our updated Terms and no longer want to be a part of the Altlife.Community, you can delete your account at any time.
Account deletion, suspension or deactivation
Deleting inactive and unverifed acocunts:
To keep the site safe and the data clean, we will periodically and systematically remove unverified accounts. Unverified accounts will be contacted via email before their account is deleted to give them an opportunity to login and age verify in order to continue using the site.
Suspension, restriction and deactivation:
We want Altlife.Community to be a place where people feel welcome and safe to express themselves and share their thoughts and ideas.
If we determine that you have clearly, seriously or repeatedly breached our Terms or Policies, including in particular our Social Standards, we may suspend or permanently deactivate access to your account. We may also suspend or deactivate your account if you repeatedly infringe other people’s intellectual property rights or where we are required to do so for legal reasons.
Where we take such action we’ll let you know and explain any options you have to request a review, unless doing so may expose us or others to legal liability; harm our community of users; compromise or interfere with the integrity or operation of any of our services, systems or Products; or where we are restricted due to technical limitations; or where we are prohibited from doing so for legal reasons.
If you delete or we deactivate your account, these Terms shall terminate as an agreement between you and us, but the following provisions will remain in place: 3, 4.
Limits on liability
We work hard to provide the best Product we can and to specify clear guidelines for everyone who uses them. Our Products, however, are provided "as is," and we make no guarantees that they always will be safe, secure, or error-free, or that they will function without disruptions, delays, or imperfections. To the extent permitted by law, we also DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. We do not control or direct what people and others do or say, and we are not responsible for their actions or conduct (whether online or offline) or any content they share (including offensive, inappropriate, obscene, unlawful, and other objectionable content).
We cannot predict when issues might arise with our Products. Accordingly, our liability shall be limited to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, and under no circumstance will we be liable to you for any lost profits, revenues, information, or data, or consequential, special, indirect, exemplary, punitive, or incidental damages arising out of or related to these Terms or the Altlife.Community Products, even if we have been advised of the possibility of such damages.
We try to provide clear rules so that we can limit or hopefully avoid disputes between you and us. If a dispute does arise, however, it's useful to know up front where it can be resolved and what laws will apply.
If a dispute arises as a consumer of the product and you are not happy with outcome of the raising the dispute or concerns with us, you may put in a complaint to Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (www.accc.gov.au). For any other disputes, you agree that the claim must be resolved exclusively in the Supreme Court of New South Wales, Australia. You also agree that you submit to the personal jurisdiction of this court for the purpose of litigating any such claim, and that the laws of the State of New South Wales, Australia will govern these Terms and any claim, without regard to conflict of law provisions.
- These Terms make up the entire agreement between you and Altlife.Community platform. regarding your use of our Products. They supersede any prior agreements.
- Some of the Products we offer are also governed by supplemental terms. If you use any of those Products, supplemental terms will be made available and will become part of our agreement with you. For instance, if you access or use our Products for commercial or business purposes, such as selling products, developing e-learning courses, or advertising your business on our directory you must agree to our Commercial Terms. To the extent any supplemental terms conflict with these Terms, the supplemental terms shall govern to the extent of the conflict.
- If any portion of these Terms is found to be unenforceable, the remaining portion will remain in full force and effect. If we fail to enforce any of these Terms, it will not be considered a waiver. Any amendment to or waiver of these Terms must be made in writing and signed by us.
- You will not transfer any of your rights or obligations under these Terms to anyone else without our consent.
- You may designate a person (called a legacy contact) to manage your account if it is memorialized. Only your legacy contact or a person who you have identified in a valid will or similar document expressing clear consent to disclose your content upon death or incapacity will be able to seek disclosure from your account after it is memorialized.
- These Terms do not confer any third-party beneficiary rights. All of our rights and obligations under these Terms are freely assignable by us in connection with a merger, acquisition, or sale of assets, or by operation of law or otherwise.
- You should know that we may need to change the username for your account in certain circumstances (for example, if someone else claims the username and it appears unrelated to the name you use in everyday life). We will inform you in advance if we have to do this and explain why.
- We always appreciate your feedback and other suggestions about our products and services. But you should know that we may use them without any restriction or obligation to compensate you, and we are under no obligation to keep them confidential.
- We reserve all rights not expressly granted to you.
5. Other terms and policies that may apply to you
- Social Standards: These guidelines outline our standards regarding the content you post to Altlife.Community and your activity on Altlife.Community and other Altlife.Community Products.
- Groups and Events Policy: These guidelines apply if you create or administer an Altlife.Community Page, group, or event, or if you use Altlife.Community to communicate or administer a promotion.
- Membership Payment Terms: These terms apply to payments made on or through Altlife.Community Products.
- Commerce Policies: These guidelines outline the policies that apply when you offer products and services for sale through Altlife.Community including own a business account.
- Live Streaming Terms: These terms apply to the use of our live streaming services
- Marketplace Seller Agreement: This is the agreement between Altlife.Community and a Seller to sell products in a store on the platform.
- E-Learning Agreement: This is the agreement between Altlife.Community and an Educator/Content Creator/Business to sell online educational courses on the platform.
- EULA: this is the End User license agreement relating to our product in the AppStore.
Alt Life Community (ABN: 28 748 299 394 )
Address: 3 Clement Road Edmondson Park NSW 2174
Phone: +61 2 8007 4288
Lasted updated 3 September 2023