If I had known from the start....

AnnaKink
AnnaKink
on December 09 2023 at 07:45 AM
Let's create a thread about answering the following:

What things I would have liked to have known before starting off in BDSM and why?

This could be useful for anyone who is new or just starting out to learn from others experiences, mistakes and hindsight. 
AnnaKink
For me... and this sounds so ridiculous now, but still being a child essentially when I was first introduced into the world of BDSM, I didn't take responsibility for my own personal safety. 

Whether it was false assumptions about responsibility in power exchanges and dynamics, but not questioning what I was being told, not doing my own research etc ended up leaving me vulnerable to predators and grooming. 

Instead of taking responsibility for my own safety and doing my own research, asking questions trying to find others in the lifestyle, I ended up hurt. 

I think a lot of newcomers regardless of age, may have the misconception, especially if they are a bottom/submissive that safety and specifically their safety isn't just in the hands of the Top/Dominant, just because the power play has them "in control". Everyone involved has the responsibility when it comes to safety. 
AnnaKink
The main thing I wish I knew in the beginning was that there are NO experts in BDSM stuff. Also no particular way of doing something is necessarily the "one true way" of doing it. There are many different people doing similar things in different ways, and we can always learn something new from someone else, EVEN if we already have years of experience.

Beware the so called experts. Many of these have stopped learning because they feel they already know everything there is to know. That can make them become outdated, and sometimes dangerous, all while teaching new people their dangerous ways.
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Login or register to post your reply