Consent and Acronyms

AnnaKink
AnnaKink
on February 26 2023 at 03:32 PM
SSC, RACK, PRICK, FRIES, CCCC etc the acronyms to do with consent. We have a educational topic on consent but I feel that each individual uses different acronym for different reasons and may not use some for others. 

So let's have a round table discussion about what do people use when talking about consent and why? Whether it's BDSM related or not. 

I know there's a range of new members not just to the site but also to kink and BDSM in general. We also have a great plethora of experience amongst users and educators on the site. So I am sure the discussion will have interesting variety of perspectives. 

I will go first - My preference is FRIES as it encompasses all the areas of consent such as being informed, consent being Revocable, consent being enthusiastic etc. 

The downside I see with FRIES is that is doesn't specifically refer to "risk" like RACK or PRICK do. But kind of covers it with the "informed" part, but isn't as specific. 

While I personally preference FRIES when discussing consent, I believe that narrowing it down to an acronym misses some of the important parts, or glosses over areas of consent. But talking about the acronyms and what consent means to you and finding out what it means to others is a great vetting discussion!
AnnaKink
From AnnaKink said:

That's a really good way of looking at it. 

I honestly feel that kind of need to have a balance of all of them... I'm just trying to find a fun way of incorporating it all lmao

CRISPY FRIES with a side of RACK of PRICK ???? 

But on serious point I think it's important that you aren't just focused on one only. They all have good points and they all don't encompass the complicated nuances of risk, safety and consent. 

It's also worth looking into how the terms evolved. For example SSC used to be more prevalent, until some people began to realize that much BDSM behavior is not really safe at all, and someone on the outside might doubt how sane some of it actually is. RACK was an attempt to correct that by acknowledging our awareness of the risk inherent to many kinds of play.

I think I've actually seen a RACK of PRICK at a CBT demo. 🤣
AnnaKink    
From Maxi said:
I consider SSC, RACK, and PRICK to be more about understanding the risks involved with kink, where FRIES and CRISP deal more directly with consent. Consent is part of the first three, entirely about the last two.

That's a really good way of looking at it. 

I honestly feel that kind of need to have a balance of all of them... I'm just trying to find a fun way of incorporating it all lmao

CRISPY FRIES with a side of RACK of PRICK ???? 

But on serious point I think it's important that you aren't just focused on one only. They all have good points and they all don't encompass the complicated nuances of risk, safety and consent. 
AnnaKink
I consider SSC, RACK, and PRICK to be more about understanding the risks involved with kink, where FRIES and CRISP deal more directly with consent. Consent is part of the first three, entirely about the last two.
AnnaKink    
So there is a new acronym that was promoted by Princess Rara from the Pink Kink Podcast and its CRISP

Considered
Reversible
Informed
Specific
Participatory

This is slightly different to FRIES because consent isnt always considered when looking at biases, prejudices, systemic racism and power dynamics in society which can make freely given consent difficult 🤔

So when making the decision to consent to an act, there has to be consideration of those other factors that can impact genuine freely given consent. 

So CRISP becomes a more inclusive acronym. 

Also SSC RACK and PRICK are primarily and predominantly associated with BDSM/Kink and more recent acronyms have a more broader audience when it comes to the conversation around consent.

AnnaKink

Login or register to post your reply